Monday, 3 January 2011

Flat Kitchen Kit

Although small on space Flat Kitchen contains all that is needed for cookery. Kitchen equipment does take time to acquire and I have been collecting items through the years, however most items are inexpensive and readily available from the supermarket. I bought a non-stick saucepan for University about 8 years ago from the supermarket and it is still a staple for preparing many great dishes. I have also acquired an enamelled cast iron casserole which can be used for pretty much everything. Again, this does not have to be expensive and mine was £30 in the sale. Most of the other items that I own are either from sales, large discount home ware stores or the supermarket and I have never had a problem with how dishes turn out.

However, recently I have discovered what the difference a good knife set can make. Originally, I had cheap flimsy knives or odd ones bought here and there. These have often been blunt and a little scary, as the blades can slip. My new knife block has made a difference (even though I have cut myself) as you can cut your way through onions and vegetables with little effort. I have not invested in knives that cost £500 but have invested in a set I am happy with.

Another recently gifted piece of my kitchen has been my mixer which does make light work of cakes and batters. This was a very nice present from my parents and although brilliant, I have successfully made cakes and bread for years without it.






I will now commence with the cooking. I have always had problems with Pork, and am going to experiment with recipes for this fine meat. First recipe soon!

1 comment:

  1. Tried commenting before but it didn't work. I'm intrigued. I need inspiration for cooking in a small kitchen... bring on the pork!

    ReplyDelete